Three Niñas - Corazon Maya

Three Niñas - Corazon Maya
Lupita, Magdalena and Clarita

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Around Copan, Honduras - Dec2008


.
The road from Antigua to Copan. Looking back at the volcanoes.
.










.
Two brothers playing on a Sunday afternoon
.










.
Main street, Copan.
When one has to go, the street is the nearest place....

The Mom was amused when she spotted me taking the photo. Her son on the left had just finished. No-one seemed to mind.
.






.
The Garcia family, who own the bar where I enjoy a beer with the locals each evening. I have become one of the regulars. She has 5 kids. I snapped this photo one evening while they were putting up Christmas lights.
.








.
The outside of the Garcia bar, about 1.5 blocks west of the parque central. Not much to look at, but great atmosphere. One evening I bought a drink for a sad looking old guy at the bar, and I had an instant friend. He could understand me, but I only caught 1 word in 10 from him. It didn't seem to matter - everyone had a good time.
.





.
Proud Mom
.











.
God bless this business
And to you, thanks for your preference!
.










.
Sisterly Love
.











.
These two kids were playing house along one of the main streets. I stopped to ask them what they were making - it was some kind of red drink. They assured me it was good stuff. I asked what it cost. Smiling brightly, they replied - 1000 Lempiras (about $60.00). Hmmm...
.






.
Mountain View taken during one of my bike rides toward the Guatemalan border about 6 miles away.
.










En route to the Guatemalan border, part of the road was washed away. There are two small warning signs, which are easy to miss. Better not be gazing off into the distance..
.
The is the main Central American highway to Guatemala. It seemed to me that the next heavy rains (due in May) could take away the rest of the road. Hopefully they will have fixed it by then.




.
A pulperia, or small store.
.











.
Another country view near Copan
.











.
This small boy and his kitty live a few houses down from Elena´s. Most of the time he doesn't bother wearing pants.
.









.
I passed this small house with horse and rider during one of my bike rides around Copan. The family seemed quite pleased that I wanted to photograph them.
.








.These guys were hanging around the border when I arrived on my bike. They were highly amused. Not too many bikes like mine around. Also, it is quite steep - the round trip of 12 miles from Copan to the border climbs about 1300 ft. For comparison, the 200 miles Seattle to Portland ride climbs about 4000 feet - 3 times as much in 16 times the distance.
.





.
The local market.
.











.
An Aids exhibit held one day by World Vision, in the parque central. It included an interesting question and answer display (below).
.























.
I spotted this ancient movie projector in someones front yard. About 6 ft high. Interesting collectible.
.











.
Street sisters. No parents to be seen. They weren't at all shy of me.
.

No comments: