Three Niñas - Corazon Maya

Three Niñas - Corazon Maya
Lupita, Magdalena and Clarita

Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2008

Around Antigua 2 - Nov2008

I have settled into a routine now. I am up at 0545 for my hour long walk. One of the best parts of the day – quiet, cool, pretty views. After breakfast at 0700, I do the internet for an hour at the school (for free), then walk down to the quiet public library and study for several hours before walking home for lunch (15 min away).
.
The library courtyard where I study. It has a fountain. No charge for its use. My books are on the table to the left.
.
I study with Alvaro at my second school (Antiguena) from 1200 to 1600 after which I check my email, then walk 15 minutes south to the supermarket, where I buy a cold beer to drink in the park. After hanging out there for an hour or so (or until it gets chilly), I return home and join some of the ladies in the living room, where we do our homework. Often we get sidetracked and end up chatting about philosophical issues or whatever until dinner at 7 pm. This is usually a nice family affair with coaching in Spanish and lots of laughs. The ladies have discovered that I am a good target for jokes. It is all good fun.

.\
The kids playroom in the public library. No kids, however.
.
I saw a few gringo families with infants or young children. They said it wasnt hard traveling with kids in Guatemala.
.






This shoeshine guy was plying his trade near La Merced church, while his customer was feeding the local pigeons.
.










.
View SE from the roof of Antiguena school
.











.
Local Coffee Shop
.
This is the coffee shop where I would enjoy good cup of tea for $1.10 during afternoon break from school. This coffee shop has a peaceful garden and waterfall, and also does meals. The woman in the background is an Indigena weaver. Fun to watch her work. She makes my job look easy.








There are numerous books and newspapers to read, and free wireless internet. A visitor who was working there on his laptop said the wireless connection is good. If one buys something one can stay there all day. I dont think Seattle’s coffee shops can’t compete in terms of ambience and quality of the tea. Coffee - well, the experts claim that the coffee is sub standard as the best beans are exported, but for what it is worth, I tried the coffee in several places (not here), and it tasted better than at our Starbucks. But then, what do I know.
.




.
View of Antigua, taken during my morning walk
.











.
New marketing approach. This fat guy was promoting a new Pharmacy near the market.


.






.
The parque central and its pretty fountain, where I enjoy an evening cold beer.
.












No comments: